The Parochialist

The Parochialist
Masked and Parochial

About Me

My photo
Davey G and the...is the handle for writer, performer, musician and sports fan, David G. Cookson. This blog (as the late George Carlin would say) is just a place for his stuff.

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Parochial Corona thoughts in no particular order

Parochial Corona thoughts in no particular order

September 3, 2020

The high price of Herd Immunity.

I had someone in my house fixing my AC early in the pandemic. He seemed all right but he didn’t wear a mask (at that point, neither did I, not in my house, not when someone was coming over for maintenance. This was before I realized that the value in masks was in protecting other people from you, not so much vice versa. It’s all been a learning process.) Sometime during the settling up, he commented on my baseball paraphernalia, posters, etc.…

“Too bad we can’t play.”

Yeah…. South Korea is having games.

“Yeah, why can’t we?”

(Lots of reasons. For one, they took this seriously and masked up and contained the breakout, but I digress.)

“People are so stupid, man.” And then he says the word that made me cringe. “Herd immunity! It’s so simple!”

I smacked myself in the forehead of my mind. He said it. The word that people who want a quick end to a long problem like to use.

Herd Immunity…

Ok. So, I’m not a scientist. But here are some facts I can glean from 20 minutes of internet research…

(Or I could just use one of my old writing tricks…)

DO 20 MINUTES OF RESEARCH ABOUT HERD IMMUNITY.

And we’re back…

Herd Immunity is not a solution because letting x number of people die while the rest of us develop an immunity is nuts.

*

Lots of disingenuous claptrap from people who are anti-mask and like to point out supposed “hypocrisy” of people like Dr. Fauci and Joe Biden and now Nancy Pelosi and how there’s some picture somewhere of this time when they weren’t wearing a mask so why should we listen to them and blah, blah, blah.

Re: Dr. Fauci. He was at a Nats game, with friends? Family? And he lowered his mask. Big fucking deal.

Joe Biden is a mask wearer; he did pull it down to yell at someone last week. But I do that too.

I got a haircut from a friend who owns a salon. It was early in the pandemic, I didn’t know the protocol, I didn’t wear my mask because I thought I wasn’t supposed to while getting a haircut. It is a boring story. Which brings me to another boring story:

Nancy Pelosi gets a blowout.

I don’t even know what that is. Are you mad because she got a blowout or are you made because she wasn’t wearing a mask? I’m wondering about the Russian Bounties on American soldiers that we stopped talking about, I’m wondering about Russians tampering with our election, I’m wondering when the Coronavirus will be over, and I’m wondering why the fuck anyone cares about Nancy Pelosi’s blowout.

And that is all the time we have….

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Davey G and the...is the handle for writer, performer, musician and sports fan, David G. Cookson. This blog (as the late George Carlin would say) is just a place for his stuff.